Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

The United States Supreme Court

Before watching this documentary, I knew the Supreme Court was the highest court in the United States, but I did not realize how much its power developed over time. One thing I learned is that more than 100 justices have served on the Court throughout its history, and each era helped shape how the Court operates today.

A major figure discussed in the video was Chief Justice John Marshall. I learned that Marshall played a key role in strengthening the Supreme Court and helping establish it as a co-equal branch of government. The documentary showed that the Court was not always as powerful as it is today.

The most important takeaway for me was the significance of Marbury v. Madison. Before this video, I had heard the case name, but I did not fully understand why it mattered. The case established the principle of judicial review, which gave the Supreme Court the authority to determine whether laws are constitutional. That decision helped define the Court's place in American government and continues to influence the legal system today.

The most surprising part of the documentary was learning about the Dred Scott decision. I found this section especially important because it showed how Supreme Court decisions can have enormous consequences for the country. The case demonstrated that the Court does not always make decisions that are later viewed as just or correct, and those rulings can affect the course of American history. According to the documentary, the controversy surrounding Dred Scott helped deepen national divisions before the Civil War.

That point really stood out to me.

The documentary changed the way I think about the Supreme Court. I used to view it mainly as a group of judges who interpret laws, but now I see it as an institution that has shaped major turning points in American history. The Court has influenced issues involving civil rights, government power, and constitutional rights, often through landmark decisions that affected millions of people.

Overall, the video showed me that the Supreme Court is more than a court system. It is a powerful institution whose decisions can leave a lasting impact on the nation for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment